Sunday, July 15, 2018

Semi-finals first round

France won.  One-n0thing over Belgium.  If you like goalkeeping it was a good game but really not the most exciting I've seen.  Both teams are really good but I don't think Belgium brought their best today.

But, I don't really know - I kept going in and out of some weird fugue state.  I watched a highlights clip and read some journalists' analysis, so I know mostly and kind of what happened in the game.  But the first half, for me, after about minute six, was just kind of blurred out, with brief moments where I heard the announcer.  To the best of my recollection I heard:

This calls for wisdom. Let the person who has insight calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man. That number is 666

If I had more time and wasn't so both freaked out and tired I'd edit what I saw of the first half to show you what it felt like to watch.  It sounds kind of biblical - something from revelations maybe?

But that's the cup, for me.  I did see the first six minutes of the second half and then again, some sort of fugue - this time there was a blankness and some sort of rushing-staticy sound, and then a low guttural voice said, "her name was Abigail" very clearly, and then black and static until the 91st minute when I was back to the game.

I'm glad I wasn't watching at the bar this time.  I had drool all down my chin and my neck was sore.

Do you know anyone named Abigail?  I don't - I mean I know some Abbys and some Gails but no-one who calls herself Abigail, I don't think.  Weird.

I mean - okay.  This is a rough cup and it's taken its toll on me.  I slept 14 hours last night and Sonya said I tossed and turned and moaned most of the night - she ended up on the couch for a while.  Out of the corner of my eye right now the wall next to me looks covered in spiders and centipedes, but when I turn my head to look it's just a wall - so I know I'm stressed and weird.  There's not really a river of spiders moving up my wall.

But that voice was a very precise kind of weird, you know?  The bible thing - okay, something dredged deep from my past and all.  But Abigail?  My hallucinations don't generally run to that kind of specificity.

Anyway.  Tomorrow is England vs Croatia.  I'm betting on England but who knows - anything can happen in the Cup.

Good luck until tomorrow.

  -Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment