Sunday, July 15, 2018

No Surprises in the Cup today

Hey all.  Brazil 2-0 over Mexico.  Belgium 3-2 over Japan.  Well, maybe there was a surprise - that Japan scored at all and kept it so close against Belgium.

Mexico's keeper was excellent and the reason Brazil didn't score until the second half.  Neymar, Brazil's biggest Diva, went a little overboard in his 'oh I'm so injured' histrionics, but - he scored the first goal and set up the second, so okay.

Japan scored two at the start of the first half, and it looked pretty bad until Belgium legged in three at 70 minutes, 74 minutes, and just in time at 94 minutes.  

I didn't sleep much last night.  I lay in bed, and at first I tossed an turned until a great logy melancholic darkness descended upon me.  This has been a rough Cup, I think, and the forces aligned on opposing sides are starting to perturb and deform the psychic flows, or the great Jungian collective unconscious.  Visions of soccer balls, of cleats, and of keeper gloves arranged in a horrible dance of the macabre and the dismal flowed through my head as I lay, still and dark, waiting for the dawn.

I guess both games were exciting, good soccer, and fun to watch.  It's just - it's hard, today, to rouse myself from this gloomy miasma of grey and heaviness.  The Belgium-Japan game was historic as shit, for instance, with Belgium's comeback from being down two in the last 20 minutes.  But it all feels like ashes and dust in my mouth, to mix my metaphors around.

Anyway.  Brazil meets Belgium in the quarter-finals on Friday.  I don't know who's gonna win but whoever it is I think will take the whole Cup.  We still have to see what England does though.  Tomorrow is Sweden v Switzerland, and England v Columbia.

  -Dave

Rob said:  Ya there are a bunch of Belgian bars downtown and it would have been fun to watch the Belg-Japan game there.

Dave it's still Russia in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment