Sunday, July 15, 2018

Last games of Matchday Three

Hey all - sorry for not updating sooner.  I had a good day today!  Not bitter or morose, and my apologies for the previous downer emails.

I mean, I'm a little sick - a head cold and a cough - but things are generally looking good.  The birds woke me with a song of optimism and then I watched some soccer.  A good day!

Columbia over Senegal 1-0.  In the same group, Poland beat Japan 1-0 (in a bit of an upset).  For group H that meant Columbia was first and Senegal and Japan tied for third; Japan and Senegal were also tied for points, goal difference, and goals scored, and Japan had fewer yellow cards than Senegal so Japan advances.  It's the first team to be eliminated from the Cup on fair-play.

In group G Tunisia beat Panama 2-1, in a fight over third place.  There was some fucked up goalkeeping - I still don't know if it was too fancy, or a good amount of fancy.

Belgium beat England 1-0.  I had high hopes for this game but it was kind of a bore - the other three games were all more fun to watch.  I suspect that since both teams knew they would advance no matter what, they gave their best players the night off (Kane wasn't there for the Brits, for example).  Ah, well.

Not with a bang but with a whimper, although I doubt that quote really works here.

Soccer!  The next games are on Saturday.  I'll go through the round of 16 matches and give my picks tomorrow - we'll see how well I do!

Exciting times for Cup Football!

  -Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment