Sunday, July 15, 2018

Last Day of Round of Sixteen

Hey all,

Emergent apologies - I feel ashamed of my weird reporting and tone in several of my emails so far.  The start of the term and the stress of this new tenure process and all I think caught up with me - I had some cannabinoid tincture before bed last night and slept for 12 hours.  I feel refreshed and rejuvenated - clearly there were no cloud of bats on the field or weird cultists behind Putin or cannibalism or anything!  I'll be more objective for the last eight matches, now, I'm sure.

Like I said before, though, no surprises in the scores.  Sweden beat Switzerland 1-0 (an own goal, to boot, rebounding off the foot of a defender).  It was a good match, and could have gone to the Swiss just as easily I think.

Praise to England; they beat Columbia in the shoot-out, and the first time England's won a Cup shootout ever.  Columbia scored an injury-time goal to send it into overtime, and England just got lucky there.  We've seen lots of shoot-outs so far this cup!  Again - a good tight game, but this time one team (England) was pretty clearly dominant.  Columbia played like a bunch of jerks, too - throwing elbows and scuffing up where Kane kicked his penalty kick from (Kane scored anyway for England's only goal).

Meanwhile, we're getting to a place where almost all of the teams look fucking tight.  Russia so far has looked the sloppiest of the eight teams in the quarter-finals.  You can't get to the cup without a good offense, but you can't get far in the cup without a good defense and we're starting to see some amazing defense and keeping going on - the Switzerland vs Sweden game had some exceptionally good keeping.

Excelsior!  The next game is Friday.  I'll write something about the Quarterfinals before then, who I think will advance and all.  Good to take a break from it for a couple of days!


  -Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment