Sunday, July 15, 2018

More from Matchday Two

Okay.  I can do this.  We've got one more day in Matchday two, and then FOUR games a day for Matchday three, but then the pace slows a bit.  I'm starting to dream about soccer but soccer in a kind of nightmare dimension, where the ball is some sort of squishy slimy tentacle-monster and the object is to remain sane or at least alive by the end of the match.

Anyway.  No real surprises with the scores today.

Belgium over Tunisia 5-2.  Belgium scored in the sixth minute on a penalty, and then again in the fifteenth minute on a text-book perfect play.  There was a lot of action this game - Look at that score! - But Belgium was clearly dominant.  I kind of expect them to go to the final four.

Mexico beat S. Korea 2-1.  Not very exciting, really, and even Son Heung-min's magic talisman, glowing throughout the second half of the match, couldn't give him more than one goal.

Germany beat Sweden 2-1.  Boateng got a second yellow card and was sent off, so Germany finished down a man.  If you read other analyses on the web they'll talk about how Germany looked down and out and it was a last-minute miracle play that saved them - that's not the game I saw.  I saw a dominant and skilled German team with a tight defense and a precise offense giving just enough of a push to beat a clearly weaker team.

But then again I also saw one of the refs consulting with his parasitic twin on some of the calls, and none of the other analysis mentioned that, so maybe I saw a DIFFERENT Germany vs Sweden match.

Okay.  Not too bad today, as far as ending my day of soccer viewing curled up and weeping on the floor goes.  I guess that's the new 'good day' condition over here in Portland, hey?

  -Dave

Mike said: I wish you were a professional commentator.

Ed said: Mexico FTW Dave. Enough of your dismissive partisan commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment