Sunday, July 15, 2018

Last from Matchday Two

Thanks Mike - I actually was offered a position as the Sports Editor for the Miskatonic Tradesmen and Fisheries Journal, but their interview was... well, strange, and they wanted me to come back during the new moon for some sort of aquatic induction ritual, and that just seemed excessive.

And Ed - I was only dismissing Mexico when compared to Spain and Portugal and Belgium and England and Brazil and Germany.  For some examples.  Yah, maybe at the start I had Mexico down compared to Argentina and Croatia and Uruguay, for examples, but they've shown their ability to succeed - beating both Germany and South Korea (one of those is more exciting than the other, of course).  If they do well against Sweden I think they have a good shot at the final four.

Three more matches.  Japan and Senegal tied 2-2.  This was one of the more exciting matches to watch, because both teams played aggressively, creatively, and made mistakes which the other team took advantage of.  I doubt either will make it to the final four, but right now both are tied for top of their group (which they share with Poland and Columbia - none of them are traditional Cup powerhouses but it's still anyone's Cup.)

Columbia beat Poland 3-0.  Poland's out of the final 4, and Columbia looks shaky (They have to beat Senegal next game, and Japan has to lose to Poland, for Columbia to advance).  It was not a very exciting match - Columbia dominated.  Even the Polish Black Friars holding a Black Mass could not help defend against Columbia's offense - but Columbia needs to significantly up their defence game to beat Senegal and (if it happens) most of the other teams that might make it to the next round; I just don't see them with the team talent or the coaching to get there.

And then England beat Panama 6-1.  No lie.  That's huge and Harry Kane might be one of the best offensive players this cup (he scored three of England's goals, even though two were on penalties and his third was a fluke - a shot bounced off his heel).  I mean, Panama has a meh team, but England was surgically precise with their offense and their shots on goal.  I would say the Panamanian keeper wasn't up to snuff but I think he's actually pretty good - England was just on fire.  That they had each player led on by a Cerro Azul Monster instead of the 'traditional' child mascot was a risky move for their second Cup match.  It could have gone differently but I think the risk paid off - hindsight's 20-20, though, innit?  Whatever else happens I am expecting the best game of the Cup during this elimination round to be England vs Belgium (local to Portland that'll be Thursday June 28th 11am.)

It was Panama's first ever goal in the World Cup, though, so good on them.  Bummer to be a first-time Cup only to have your first two games against Belgium and England, but there you go.

Again, a dreamless tears-free Cup day so it's all good here in Portland.  Matchday 2 is over!  Next week I expect to be difficult in a variety of ways.  Wish me luck.

  -Dave

P.S.  I reserved a blogspot name - I forget which (something like Exciting Cup 2018) - so after this is all over I'll go through and post it for posterity.  It'll be interesting to see what happens and once we go into the 16 I'll make a call who I think's gonna advance to the quarterfinals and the semifinals - and then leave it for the world to mock or praise me, depending on how prognosticant I turn out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment